Refereed Journal Articles
- “Do Voters Polarize when Radical Parties Enter Parliament?” (with Markus Wagner), American Journal of Political Science: conditional accept.
- “What Makes Parties Adapt to Voter Preferences? The Role of Party Organisation, Goals and Ideology” (with Markus Wagner), British Journal of Political Science, 2017.
- “Simple Politics for the People? Complexity in Campaign Messages and Political Knowledge” (with Roman Senninger), European Journal of Political Research, 2018.
- “Working in Unison: Political Parties and Policy Issue Transfer in the Multi-Level Space” (with Roman Senninger), European Union Politics, 2018.
“Ideological Congruence between Party Rhetoric & Policy-Making”, West European Politics, 2018.
- “New Graphic Schemes for Stata: plotplain & plottig”, Stata Journal, 2017.
- “The Effects of the Fukushima Disaster on Nuclear Energy Debates and Policies: A Two-Steps Comparative Examination” (with Luca Bernardi, Laura Morales & Maarja Lühiste), Environmental Politics, 2017.
- “Towards a Renewal of the Niche Party Concept: Parties, Market Shares and Condensed Offers”, Party Politics, 2017.
- “Repression as a Double-Edged Sword: Resilient Monarchs, Repression and Revolution in the Arab World” (with Simon Fink), Swiss Political Science Review, 2015.
- “Minority-Ethnic MPs and the Substantive Representation of Minority Interests in the House of Commons, 2005-2011” (with Thomas Saalfeld), Parliamentary Affairs, 2013.
- “Theorizing Party Policy Diffusion in the European Multi-level Space” (with Roman Senninger & Fabio Wolkenstein), Journal of Elections, Public Opinion & Parties: revise & resubmit for special issue inclusion.
- “Does Timing Matter? How Campaign Periods Affect Parties’ Reactions to the Public”, under review.
- “How the European Parliament Influences National Parties’ Policies” (with Roman Senninger & Lawrence Ezrow), under review.
- “How Parties of Niche Origin Become Junior Coalition Partners” (with Patrick Dumont & Kaare Strøm), under review.
- “Do the tabloid media create populist attitudes? Identifying the influence of Sun readership on anti-EU attitudes in the UK” (with Florian Foos), close to submission.
- “Federalism and Party System Fragmentation: On the unintended consequences of increasing decentralization” (with Florian Foos).
- “What Kind of European Union Oversight Do Voters Want from Parties?” (with Roman Senninger).
- “Clutter: How much information do party manifestos contain?” (with Denise Traber).
- “Taking the Risk to Politicize Europe. How the Prospect of Losing Power Affects Issue Entrepreneurship” (with Tarik Abou-Chadi & Markus Wagner).
- “The Economic Costs of Revolution” (with Tobias Rommel).
- “How Extreme Party Entrance Legitimizes Extreme Ideologies: The Case of the German AfD” (with Markus Wagner).
- “Analyzing Cleavage Structure in Britain After Brexit” (with Roman Senninger).
- “Voter Competence and the Complexity of Political Messages” (with Céline Colombo & Roman Senninger).
- “The Political Effects of Local Economic Investment Policies: Evidence from a Natural Experiment” (with Nils Redeker, Guido Ropers & Moritz Marbach).
- “Analyzing Hitler’s Style of Speech-Making” (with Judith Spirig).
- “The Randomness of Issue Ownership Theories: How external shocks drive public perception of party competence”
- “The Cultural Roots of the German AfD Vote” (with Hanno Hilbig & Daniel Ziblatt).
- “The Genesis of the Movimento 5 Stelle” (with Thomas Kurer).
Dormant Working Papers (get in touch for PDF)
- “Pieces of the Puzzle: Coalition Formation & Preference Compatibility” (with Patrick Dumont, Albert Falco Gimenó & Indriði H. Indriðason).
- “How party rhetoric after the Fukushima accident reflects the classical economic divide of party politics”.
- “How do Parties React to Protest? The Moderating Effects of Party Ideology and Public Opinion”.